Today is Wayne Dyer’s 76th birthday. I say is because this giant of a man still lives on in the energy of this planet, with the legacy of his work, and through his beautiful family. He has been referred to as the “father of motivation,” and when I hear this today, I focus squarely on the word father. I was privileged to attend Wayne’s memorial service, and one by one his children came up and shared personal stories about their dad. We all laughed, cried, and were inspired by the unconditional love and care that poured out of each story. Each one was authentic, personal, and loving. I left there feeling that I had just been with a family who deeply love each other. I believe Wayne’s true gift to the world is a loving, giving, caring family.
We would like to honor Wayne on his birthday with some of his family’s favorite quotes and stories, as well as some of our own favorites.
1. “Love is my gift to the world. I fill myself with love, and I send that love out into the world. How others treat me is their path; how I react is mine.”
This quote is a favorite quote of Skye Dyer‘s. She shared why it is meaningful to her: “I can’t control what other people think or do, but I can control my thoughts and actions. I want to always act and think from a place of love.”
2. “Don’t look for reasons to be upset.”
Marcelene Dyer explained why this is one of her favorites: “I think all of us can stop and be aware of changing our view point and choose peace. We know how precious life is, and this reminder brings home our awareness of honoring life.”
3. “You have everything you need for complete peace and total happiness right now.”
Michelle and I founded Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life to inspire all beings to find their source of inner peace, love and happiness, feeling empowered to live an inspired life. This quote of Wayne’s embodies our mission and vision perfectly.
4. “You’ll see it when you believe it.”
Michelle Maros chose this quote because it has helped her shift her view on life, and it has encouraged her to believe that anything is possible. She refers back to this quote often.
5. “The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something you know nothing about, yet refuse to investigate.”
This quote is important to Skye Dyer. She explains what it means to her: “I think most of the misunderstandings in life stem from our lack of investigating what we don’t know or understand. This makes so much sense to me, and I see it happen all the time. We judge people or a situation when we don’t have a connection to them/it. When we take the time to learn about someone or something, that is when we truly grow.”
6. “Love is the ability and willingness to allow those that you care for to be what they choose for themselves, without any insistence that they satisfy you.”
Skye Dyer wrote, “I love this quote so much. The first time my dad said this, it resonated with me. I was a person trying to control my loved ones, and that is not real love. Hearing this quote changed my life. All my relationships flourished when I stopped interfering, and it also freed me from my need for control.”
7. “When the choice is to be right or to be kind, always make the choice that brings peace.”
8. “No one can create negativity or stress within you. Only you can do that by virtue of how you process your world.”
9. “If you believe it will work out, you’ll see opportunities. If you believe it won’t, you’ll see obstacles.”
10. “Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed.”
11. “You cannot fail, you can only produce results.”
12. “When you stay on purpose and refuse to be discouraged by fear, you align with the infinite self, in which all possibilities exist.”
13. “Peace is the result of retraining your mind to process life as it is, rather than as you think it should be.”
14. “Each experience in your life was absolutely necessary to have gotten you to the next place, and the next step, up until this very moment.”
15. “Banish doubt. When doubt is banished, abundance flourishes and anything is possible.”
Serena Dyer explained that when it comes to her father, she can’t think of him in terms of just one quote or piece of advice. Serena shared:
“To put it simply, for me, my dad has been the single biggest force of love I have ever encountered. He always looked within himself to change, even when situations were tough, rather than looking outside of himself and expecting the conditions that were making life tough to change for him. He didn’t judge. Period. I mean he really didn’t judge and that was so comforting to witness. He never compromised on what his dharma was- even if it meant having to miss out on family things or personal relationships. He came here with a purpose and he never allowed anything to get in the way of his ultimate calling. I find that so inspiring.
He loved me and I felt his love every moment we were together, every time we spoke, even every time I screwed up. I really, really felt his love, and that has always been the best feeling in the world to me. The amount that I miss him is so vast and indescribable. So privately painful. The longing to have him back in the way it was is so great, and yet I also find peace in his absence as I always knew I wouldn’t have him forever. He talked about death so frequently and I know he looked forward to shedding this coat for the next one.
I feel so grateful he is my dad. I don’t have any favorite advice, But I have 30 years of watching a master at work. A master of love. He just wanted me to always come from a place of love. To always find a way to love, even in the most difficult of people or circumstances. I guess that really would be his greatest lesson to me. To love. That is what I could boil it down to. Love.”
Happy Birthday, Wayne! Thank you for all you have taught us.
Michelle and Barb
If a certain quote, teaching, or memory of Wayne comes to your mind today, please share with us in the comments below.