Summer time is great, there’s a lot going on, the weather is beautiful, and there is so much to enjoy. It’s also a time where the old fear of missing out mentality can creep in, set up shop, and camp in our minds, wreaking havoc and making us feel less than. Fear of missing out (or sometimes referred to FOMO) is when our minds think that because we are not partaking in a certain situation or event, we are losing out. In reality, fear of missing out is when you let the mind be in control, taking you out of the present moment. We’ve all experienced times where we wish we were somewhere else, or were with other people, doing different things; it’s normal. The key is to not let your mind dwell in these emotions and continue to live your life as it is now. If these feelings of fear or anxiety of missing out are in your life right now, don’t judge yourself or get down, take a deep breath and introduce some of these tips below.
- Bring your mind back to the present. Like I said above, these fears really stem from when we let our minds wander out of the present moment. When you start to feel down or depressed about something, immediately bring your mind back to your current situation. Strengthen that mind muscle and work on always being present and aware to what is around you.
- Become comfortable being alone. Many of us have fears and anxieties about being alone. Because of this we overcompensate and spend all of our time with other people. Being social and having loved ones is great, but it’s also wonderful to have that alone time. Get comfortable in it, so when you’re in a situation where FOMO creeps in, you won’t judge yourself for being by yourself. Everything you need is inside you; you just have to go inward.
- Trust that you are in the right place at the right time. If your mind is taking you to thoughts that make you believe you should be somewhere that you’re not, don’t fret. This happens to everyone. Wherever you are right now, physically and mentally, is okay. If you are meant to be with a particular group of people in a particular setting, the Universe will conspire to get you there. Don’t over think it.
- Make your own fun. Start incorporating really enjoyable activities into your life, on a daily basis. It doesn’t have to be big, but make sure it really brings you joy. Go out, explore, and put yourself out there; you’ll be guided to so many wonderful things.
- Be grateful for what you have right now. Gratitude has the ability to make any situation positive. If you’re feeling upset or left out, flip the switch on yourself. What makes you feel included and loved? There are always things in our life to be grateful for, we just have to remember to look for them.
Do you get those feelings where you feel as though you’re missing out in life? What do you do to bring yourself back to the present? I’d love to hear your thoughts about this!