How we begin the day, much like how we begin anything, sets the tone and mindset for that day. In continuing down the path to mindfulness and awareness, it’s important to start each and every day on the brightest note possible. We all have so much going on in our lives, and can feel the pressure of daily responsibilities and stresses.
This week, we’ll talk about some tools you can incorporate into your life to start you morning stress-free and in peace. Check out this list below, contemplate these actions, and see if there are ways you can add any or all of them into your daily routine. Play around with it, make it your own, and learn to love waking up every morning in such a lovely, peaceful way.
- Find a gentle alarm to wake you up. Although logic tells us that finding the most irritating and persistent is the sure-fire way to wake up, let’s try something new and find something that is effective, yet peaceful. If you use your cell phone as your alarm, go through all the options and find one that doesn’t send your body into a panic just by listening to it. Awaken every morning in peace starting with the first sound that you hear.
- Take some deep breaths. When you first are waking up, try not to pop up and hop out of bed to get to your morning routine. Ease your way into this new day, by taking some nice, deep, comforting breaths. As we know the breath is so important in our lives, and can have such a calming effect on our bodies and our minds.
- Avoid your cell phone and other forms of technology first thing. Many of us wake up and immediately go to check our phones or computers for emails, news, and social media alerts. I admittedly am one of these people, so I know how hard this can be. Give your mind a break first thing, and wait a little while to storm into the hustle and bustle of daily life. Start every morning with a small technology detox.
- Set aside time for morning meditation. Following any practice or spiritual path will tell you the importance and benefit of meditation. Calming the mind, tapping into your intuition, and cultivating patience are all qualities we accumulate when we have a dedicated meditation practice. Whether it’s for one minute or an hour, be diligent every morning by taking time to sit, in stillness and peace, and focus on the breath, and forget everything else.
- Say a prayer of gratitude. Every morning if nothing else, I feel at least some sort of gratitude and thankfulness for another day of life. As we know, having an attitude of gratitude is a wonderful way to inspire happiness and attract abundance. Silently, or aloud, state how grateful you are for life, regardless of what is going on for you on that day. There is always something to be thankful for.
- Let your thoughts flow with journaling. Before your mind has a chance to go wild with thoughts and stresses, allow yourself some time for free-flowing writing. Don’t try and control it, just put a pen to paper and let whatever comes come. Journaling and reflecting can be such a great way to let go, calm the mind, and find clarity.
- Set an intention for your day. Intention setting is another great tool for living your greatest life. By sending out into the universe how you want your day to be, you are automatically taking that first step to make it happen. Your intentions don’t have to be large or grandiose, find something meaningful for you, something that resonates with you, and keep it in mind throughout your day.
So, after reading this, I’m sure a lot of you are thinking who has time to do all of this? Part of being dedicated to leading the best life possible means being diligent, honoring your time, and making adjustments. Perhaps if you’re finding that you don’t have enough time in the morning, try waking up just a little earlier, going to sleep a little earlier, and trusting that what you are doing every morning is so beneficial for you and your life. It’s the small simple shifts and changes that we make that help us to create the lives we’ve been yearning for.
How do you begin your day? Do you feel frazzled in your morning routine, or do you feel refreshed and ready to take on the day? Let us know!